Qibla's Tajweed Format
- Two 30-minute private one-on-one live classes each week.*
- All live classes will be recorded so you can listen to your own recitation.
- All students must have a working microphone and headset.
- Our new Tajweed program allows you to progress at your own pace with dedicated time with your Qibla Teacher at YOUR level of the Book of Allah!
- Passing each level: It is very normal for students to take the same level multiple times in order to reach the degree of mastery required. Different students progress at different paces depending on their own proficiency. Those who do not attain the level's required proficiency will be asked by the instructor to repeat that level until they pass, before being able to proceed to the next level.
*The teacher will leave 5 minutes before the end of each class in order to prepare for the next class.
Level 5 At-A-Glance
- Receive the entire Quran through an unbroken chain of transmission to the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him.
- Since the Quran cannot be covered in one term, it is expected that students shall require multiple terms to complete their recitation.
- Receiving an Ijaza: Ijaza is issued at the teacher's discretion. Completing the recitation of the entire Quran does not guarantee one shall receive an ijaza. Only students who complete the recitation with the required degree of mastery shall receive ijaza from their teacher.
- For advanced students who have a strong background in tajweed.
About the Course
In this course, you will be given the opportunity to correctly recite and memorize the entire Quran through an unbroken chain of transmission from the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him.
Students must be able to demonstrate mastery of all the tajweed rules learnt in Levels 1-4 to enroll in this course, and must be able to complete the recitation of the Quran with the high ijaza-standards assessed by teachers to successfully receive their ijaza.
Students will progressively work through the chapters of the Quran every week, reciting directly to the instructor during the live classes to have their mistakes corrected.
All new students will have their skills assessed by their teacher in their first live class.
The course covers the recitation and optional memorization of the entire Quran with all of the tajweed rules learnt in the previous levels:
- The rules of fatha, damma, and kasra
- The rules of silent nun
- The rules of tanween
- The rules of silent meem
- The rules of madd
- Points of articulation of Arabic letters: throat, tongue, and lip letters
- Heavy and light letters
Weekly Time Commitment
The required weekly time commitment for tajweed can vary greatly depending on the student’s learning ability. However students can expect to dedicate at least two hours a week to learning the rules and practicing with correct recitation.
The Quran – lots of it! Knowing the tafsir of the surahs you are reciting shall definitely enrich your experience. We recommend you supplement this course with Sheikh Hatim’s Tafsir of the Short Surahs courses and/or Umm Sahl's Experiencing the Quran.
This program is for the advanced student of tajweed who aspires to finish the recitation of the entire Quran to a level of mastery and obtain an ijaza to transmit it to others.
Why is it obligatory to learn tajweed?
Ibn al-Jazari (d. 833 AH / 1429 CE), the greatest authority of the disciplines of Quran recitation (tajweed) and canonical Quran transmissions (qira’at), said in verse, “It is obligatory to train oneself to recite the Quran with tajweed. Whoever recites the Quran incorrectly [through neglect] is sinful.” Why is this obligatory? Because Allah Most High revealed the Quran in accordance with the rules of tajweed – that is how the Angel Jibril (upon him be peace) taught it to the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace); that is how the Messeger taught his Companions to recite; and that is how it was taught by each generation of Muslims to succeeding generations, all the way down to our own times. Reciting the Quran according to the rules of tajweed is also the only way to bring out the beauty of Quranic recitation.
Why is proper recital essential to one's relationship with the Quran?
Quran recital is a central act of worship for Muslims. The Book is chanted. The auditory sounds enhance the meanings in a coalescence of faculties to stir hearts to their very core. Someone who neglects the discipline of tajweed shall necessarily have a stunted relationship with the Book of Allah, because the Quran, which itself means “recital”, is meant to be recited beautifully. The revelation itself was a recitation in auditory form, not a written book – a basic reality one may fail to truly appreciate as one goes through life with a physical copy of the Book.
How exactly does tajweed training work?
The only thing that lies between learning how to recite the Quran correctly and continuing to recite it incorrectly is training your jaws. This is done through hearing the Quran recited directly by an authorized teacher, reciting back to him as he recited to you, correcting your mistakes in accordance with his instructions, and then repeated practice after class.
What shall I know coming out of the course?
Those who successfully compete the course with the required degree of mastery shall receive an ijaza in the recitation of the entire Quran. This course may have to be taken multiple times depending on the starting level of proficiency of the student.