Ustadh Hatim began learning tajweed in Dubai at the age of 12. With the encouragement of his teacher and supportive parents, at age 14, Ustadh Hatim began teaching adults in his neighborhood mosque and continued for the next five years.
Ustadh Hatim left Dubai to pursue his BA and Masters degree in English Literature in Amman, Jordan.
While in Jordan, he met Sheikh Hussein Abu Laban and attained his first Ijazah in recitation. He completed his first recitation of the Quran from memory with Sheikh Abdel-Majeed, Imam of As-Salaam Mosque in Sharjah. He then continued with Sheikh Mohammad Esam al-Quda, and completed another recitation of the Quran on the narration of Shu’ba.
Ustadh Hatim Youssef was teaching Quran and served as the Islamic Studies teacher at the ADAMS Center in Sterling Virginia. He held classes in tajweed, tafsir, seerah, Arabic, and Hadith.
Ustadh Hatim’s teachers include:
- Sheikh Mohammad Isam Al Quda
- Sheikh Hussein Abu Laban
- Sheikh Abdel-Majid Al Masri
- Sheikh Ahmad Al Jamoos (May Allah have mercy on him)
- The famous Islamic singer, Abu Mahmoud Al-Tirmithi, with whom Ustadh Hatim studied the seven tunes (maqams) of recitation
He has also studied aqidah, fiqh, and spirituality under a variety of scholars such as:
- Sheikh Khaldoon Makhlota
- Sheikh Amjad Rashid
- Sheikh Ahmad Hasanat
- Sheikh Nuh Keller (may Allah preserve him).