At a Glance
- Answer age-old questions that every human struggles to answer
- Explore the meanings and implications of an Islamic worldview
- Gain a firm understanding of the Muslim declaration of faith and the Oneness of God
- Identify and define the three dimensions of Islam
- Learn about the role of revelation and prophethood in human life
- Perfect for all Muslims and for anyone interested in learning about the Islamic worldview
- Non-Muslims and recent converts (within the last year) are eligible for a 75% discount! Please use the NEWMUSLIM coupon during checkout.
What is the purpose of life? How do I find peace and meaning in my life? How do I know what is right and wrong? These age-old questions have been asked since time immemorial and will continue to be asked by every human at some point in their life. So what are the answers to these questions? How do I figure out what I should be doing with my life, and how do I find the answer in this confusing world that we live in today?
Understanding Islam: The Coherence of Islam and the Quest for Truth seeks to explain and clarify the worldview of Islam in relation to the eternal questions every human struggles to answer. Many introductory courses on Islam start with detailed lists of legal ruling and explanations on how to go about living life as a Muslim. These topics are critical but not sufficient, often leaving both the new and long-time Muslim overwhelmed by details and a seemingly random task list.
In order for us to fully appreciate the religion and find contentment in our role as practicing Muslims, it is vital that we gain an understanding of the Islamic worldview. We need to appreciate in our minds and believe in our hearts how all aspects of life, the universe, revelation, death, and the afterlife all fit into a coherent and meaningful system.
In this course, we will learn about the existence and nature of our Creator. We will understand His infinite Mercy and the purpose of His having created the world and us within it. We will discuss the role of revelation and prophets and how these guide us to live meaningful and fruitful lives. We will also examine how the scholars safeguarded the Revelation in its two parts, the Qur’an and the Sunnah, and how we can access Divine guidance.
By the end of the course you will have a firm understanding of the Muslim declaration of faith, the concept of Tawhid (the Oneness of God), and its implications. You will learn to appreciate the three dimensions of Islam, namely iman, islam, and ihsan. And finally, you will learn the definition of revelation and prophethood and the role of these in human life.
This course has no prerequisites whatsoever and serves as an introduction to almost all other courses, providing you with the foundation and overview needed to understand the role of each of the Islamic sciences. Understanding Islam is perfect for all Muslims and for anyone interested in learning about the Islamic worldview.
Lesson 1: Introduction
- Welcome and introduction to the course
- Overview of the course
- Primordial questions
- Writing activity
Lesson 2: Who is your Lord?
- Existence of Allah, the Creator
- Attributes of Allah Most High
- Purpose in creation
Lesson 3: Understanding Human Existence
- Nature of humanity
- Human being as the steward
- “Worship” and its multi-layered meaning and implications
- Need for guidance
Lesson 4: Who is your Prophet?
- Human need for guidance
- Prophethood and Prophets
- The Final Prophet: Muhammed ibn Abdullah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace
- Universality of the Final Revelation
Lesson 5: What is your Book?
- Revelation: scripture and living ideal
- The Qur’an: its nature and themes
- The Prophetic model: Sunnah and hadith, definitions and importance
Lesson 6: Who are you?
- Living Islam: How to live a meaningful life
- Five pillars of Islam as the themes of life
Lesson 7: Excellence
- Ihsan: “excellence” the standard for all aspects of life
- Summary: Hadith Jibril
- Open Q&A