New Tajweed Format
- Two 30 minute private one-on-one live sessions per week
- All live sessions will be recorded so you can listen to your own recitation.
- Our new Tajweed program allows you to progress at your own pace with dedicated time with your Qibla Teacher at YOUR level of the Book of Allah!
Before: One hour session with 3 people: Total weekly reading time: 20 minutes
Now: Two private 30 minute sessions: Total weekly reading time: 50 minutes*
*The teacher will leave 5 minutes before the end of each class in order to prepare for the next class.
It is very normal for students to take the same level multiple times. All sessions, with the exception of level one, will be private one-on-one sessions.
We find that 25-30 minutes focused reading time is the ideal, given the concentration and focus level of most students. Anymore and we start to see diminishing returns.
- Receiving the Quran as it has been taught by each generation of Muslims to the next, with an unbroken chain of transmission to the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him
- Training your jaws in the correct recitation of the Quran
- Practicing not only the correct tajweed of Juz ‘Amma, but also you can choose to memorize the chapters so that the rules of tajwid are fully ingrained on your tongue
- Receiving an ijazah to transmit the Quran to others
- Strengthening your relationship with the Quran
- The course allows you to progress at your own pace. Students are not expected to recite all of the Qur’an in one semester so a number of semesters are usually required, the number depending on the student’s progress, to receive the ijazah
Ibn al-Jazari (d. 833 AH / 1429 CE), the greatest authority of the disciplines of Quran recitation (tajwid) and canonical Quran transmissions (qira’at), said in verse, “It is obligatory to train oneself to recite the Quran with tajwid. Whoever recites the Quran incorrectly through neglect is sinful.”
Why is this obligatory? Because Allah Most High revealed the Quran in accordance with the rules of tajwid, that is how the Angel Jibril (upon him be peace) taught it to the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace), that is how he taught his Companions to recite it, and that is how it was taught by each generation to succeeding generations, all the way down to our times. Reciting the Quran according to the rules of tajwid is also the only way to bring out the beauty of Quranic recitation.The only thing that lies between learning how to recite the Quran correctly and continuing to recite it incorrectly is training your jaws. This is done through hearing the Quran recited directly by an authorized teacher, reciting back to him as he recited to you, correcting your mistakes in accordance with his instructions, and then repeated practice after class. If you do this with the whole Quran to a satisfactory degree of expertise, you receive an authorization to transmit the Quran to others as you received it from your teacher. This is how the Quran was transmitted from generation to generation down to our times.
In this course, you’ll be given the opportunity to recite and memorize the last juz of the Quran through an unbroken chain of transmission from the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him.Students who reach the required degree of mastery will receive an authorization to transmit the final juz of the Quran to others and then will be able to continue on privately to complete their receipt of and receive an ijaza in the whole Quran.By combining mastery of the rules of tajwidwith either recitation only or recitation and memorization, the rules of tajwid become fully ingrained in your tongue. Every week, you will prepare assigned suras using pre-recorded lessons. At the live sessions, you will receive these suras directly from the instructor, recite back to him, and have your mistakes corrected. You will leave each week with a report card of outstanding mistakes, allowing you to practice and memorize the sura on your own, and then recite it correctly to your instructor the following week. The course allows you to progress at your own pace and you have three semesters in which to complete the program. Additional learning resources on selected tajwid rulings and memorization advice will also be provided.
Since Quran recital is a central act of worship that Muslims perform, and since it is obligatory for Muslims to recite the Quran correctly if you are able to, learning how to correctly recite the Quran is a requirement for being able to perform a central act of worship in Islam. Someone who neglects the discipline of tajwid will have a stunted relationship with the Quran because the Quran, which itself means “recital,” is meant to be recited.
By the end of this program, you will be able to explain the correct recitation of these suras using tajwid rules insha’Allah. This program is perfect anyone who can read the Arabic script, but has never directly received the Quran from an authorized teacher with a chain of transmission back to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and give him peace.
All new students will have their skills assessed by their teacher in their first Live Session.
The juz will be divided into three parts. Each third will have an exam in which the student will be tested on the theory, recitation (and memorization if applicable) in order for them to move forward.
In addition to practicing recitation, tajweed theory will also be introduced. The following are some of the topics that will be covered in this course:
- The articulation points of Arabic letters
- The correct articulation of the fatha, damma, and kasra
- The magnification (tafkhim) and softening (tarqiq) of letters
- The rules of the silent and doubled nun
- The rules of the silent and doubled mim
- The rulings of the qalqala
- How to memorize the Quran
- Live session attendance is mandatory
- A microphone headset is highly recommended