- Course material is obligatory knowledge for Muslim women, as well as for husbands, fathers, and guardians of girls
- An in-depth knowledge of this topic is critical as it affects other acts of worship
- Course clarifies the difference between menstruation, lochia, and abnormal uterine bleeding
- Focus of the course will be on application of the theory covered
- Due to the relative simplicity of this topic in the Shafi’i school, this one course will give you a good working knowledg
“Menstruation is amongst the most difficult topics in the study of fiqh. The magnitude of this knowledge is apparent by the detriment caused by the ignorance of it. Attentiveness to these rulings is vital because of the consequences they have on rulings of purification, prayer, reading the Qur’an, fasting, spiritual retreat, pilgrimage, reaching puberty, marital relations, divorce, waiting period after divorce, and others. Familiarity with these rulings is essential; otherwise, forbidden (haram) acts are done without even realizing it.”
—Ustadha Hedaya Hartford
This special course will facilitate an introduction to the legal rulings of menstruation and lochia as they pertain to many aspects of your daily life, such as ablution, prayer, fasting, and Hajj. Other fiqh courses dedicate only one lesson to the basics of this subject, whereas this course examines in-depth how it affects other acts of worship and investigates situations that may arise. A wide variety of common questions will be answered, while providing a general understanding of the fiqh of menstruation, lochia, and abnormal uterine bleeding according to the Shafi’i school.
The goal of this course is for you to be able to differential between menstruation, lochia, and abnormal uterine bleeding. You will learn how to recognize when bleeding is abnormal and understand how to solve basic cases, so that you know when you should be fasting and praying and when you should not.
Unlike the Hanafi school, rulings related to menstruation, lochia, and abnormal bleeding in the Shafi’i school are simpler and easier to learn. Consequently, by taking this one course, you will have a good working knowledge of this essential topic.
Weekly live lessons are designed to apply the theory presented in the hadnouts and train students on how to solve menstuation cases. The course will be based on Shafi’i treatises on menstruation and the classic sources of fatwa in the school.
While directly affecting women, it is also important for men to study this topic as well. The material is obligatory for Muslim women to learn, as well as for fathers and guardians of girls in order to raise their children with sound knowledge of the religion.
- Introductions: the basics
- Unlawful matters in menstruation and lochia
- Making daily decisions
- Excessive bleeding (1)
- Excessive bleeding (2)
- Chronic annulment of ablution