- Learn this Fard Kifaya science that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, advised us to learn out of fear of it being forgotten
- Understand the basic principles of inheritance law
- Through self-paced and in-class exercises, apply principles learned to practical examples
- Be an asset to your community in helping them solve basic inheritance cases and saving them from falling into disagreements
The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “Learn inheritance and teach it for it is half the knowledge and it will be forgotten, and it is the first thing to be ripped from my Ummah” (Ibn Majah 2710). He also said: “Learn inheritance and teach it to people for I am a mortal being and knowledge will decrease until two people would differ amongst themselves over inheritance, but wouldn’t find an arbitrator” (al Nisa’i 6305).
Look around and you will see the truth of the Prophet’s statement—families divided over property, children hurt over parental preference in wills, siblings no longer on speaking terms with each other—especially when the deceased has a large estate. It is crucial that inheritance law be learned and applied, otherwise some may be denied their rights while others eat of haram wealth.
Due to the gravity of its impact, inheritance is one of the few topics that Allah described its legal rulings in detail in the Quran, resulting in little difference of opinion between the legal schools. In Introduction to Inheritance Law: Basic Principles and Case Studies, you will gain an understanding of the basics of inheritance law through learning about the pillars, conditions, reasons, and prohibitions of inheritance, state rights, principles of distribution, and wills. You will then apply these rules to case studies, ensuring your understanding of their basic application.
This knowledge is a Fard Kifaya, meaning it is communally-obligatory for it to be learned and applied. Through taking this course, you will be able to assist your community in solving basic inheritance cases and advising them on the need to consult an expert when needed.
By the end of the course, you will gain an understanding of the importance of implementing the laws of inheritance and learn the basics of inheritance law. There will insha’Allah be a follow-up advanced inheritance course offered in the future.
- State rights
- Inheritance pillars, conditions, reasons ,and prohibitions
- Islamic laws of inheritance
- Principle of distribution
- Shares, rights, and conditions
- Examples of possible cases
- Wills pillars, conditions, prohibitions